Welcome to Freelancer Voices podcast.
Why produce this podcast?
- Mike Bell has worked as a freelancer for over twenty years – both in-house and as a jobbing designer from home and remote office spaces (usually sheds).
- Freelancing can be the answer to many lifestyle and financial concerns, but it can also be a viper’s nest ready to sting you, and your family.
- Recent seismic shifts in the workplace – around the world – following Covid-19 [and Sars before that] mean that freelancing is suddenly the only option for many talented individuals.
- This podcast will not be telling you the facts about freelancing (home country GOV websites are full of protocols and support), but letting people who have been freelancing – in various industries – about how they do it – day-to-day – and how they get through those tough times – and the ridiculous times too.
- Mike will be introducing a different freelancer each week – from various industries – and asking them for an elevator pitch. Being freelancers, pitching themselves after many years of not thinking about it, can be quite an eye-opener for them and for us.
- Mike will be asking guests:
- What do they do?
- Who is the boss?
- Where do they work?
- What do they think of working in-house vs. working from home spaces?
- What are they doing to continue to educate themselves, if at all?
- How do they make money?
- How do they set a ‘rate’?
- How do they get late/overdue money?
- How do they sell themselves?
- What are the stresses – cash to loneliness?
- What does time off look like?
- What did they want to be, aged 10?
- .. and other questions too.